Criteria and Guidelines for Selection of Honorary Degree Recipients
The Senate Coordinating Committee of the Algoma University Senate solicits recommendations for candidates for an honorary degree. The following guidelines apply:
- Honorary degrees should not, except in exceptional circumstances, be awarded posthumously;
- Honorary degrees should not, except in exceptional circumstances, be awarded in absentia;
- Honorary degrees should not be awarded to Algoma University personnel or active politicians;
- At the level of the Senate Coordinating Committee, unanimity among those present is required (abstentions are not counted).
While the Committee is responsible for finding the best possible candidates in a given year and for ensuring a balance across various disciplines and groups over a period of time, the following categories are emphasized:
- People who have made outstanding contributions to the life of Northern Ontario and/or the area served by Algoma University;
- People who have made outstanding contributions to intellectual advancements in disciplines offered at Algoma University;
- People who have made outstanding contributions in fields of national and/or international life.
- People who have made outstanding contributions that contribute to and reflect the special mission of Algoma University.
In the final analysis, the selection of honorary degree recipients at Algoma University should be guided by the outstanding nature and/or the originality of each candidate’s achievement.
The degree awarded should be appropriate to the recognized contribution of the recipient.
Degrees awarded in past ceremonies at Algoma University have included the following: Doctor of Laws, Doctor of Letters, Doctor of Science, Doctor of Music, Doctor of Business Administration, Doctor of Social Work and Doctor of Fine Arts.
The norm would be one honorary degree per Convocation but that the Committee could recommend more than that in special circumstances to a maximum of two per Convocation. The report from the Senate Coordinating Committee regarding Honorary Degrees is then discussed and voted on by the members of the Algoma University Senate; the results are not herein reported on the grounds of confidentiality.
Honourary Degree Recipients
Honourary Degree recipients are chosen from people who have made outstanding contributions to the life of Sault Ste. Marie and/or the region; people who have made outstanding contributions to intellectual advancements and those who have made contributions in the fields of Canadian and/or international life. The selection of honourary degree recipients at Algoma University is guided by the outstanding nature of each candidate’s achievement. Investiture takes place at Spring Convocation, and consists of the degree (honoris causa) and the awarding of appropriate regalia.
Honourary Degree Recipient
|2017||Paul Thompson||Doctor of Letters
|2016||Senator Murray Sinclair||Doctor of Laws|
|2015||Errol Caldwell||Doctor of Science|
|2014||Les Pyette||Doctor of Letters|
|2013||Joseph Boyden||Doctor of Letters|
|2012||Guy Traficante||Doctor of Letters|
|2011||Justice Susan E. Lang||Doctor of Laws|
|2010||Daphne Odjig||Doctor of Fine Arts|
|2008||Ronald Francis||Doctor of Letters|
|2007||Steven Jeromy Carriere||Doctor of Science|
|2006||Frederick Griffith||Doctor of Letters|
|2005||David M. Paciocco||Doctor of Laws|
|2004||Honourable James K. Bartleman||Doctor of Laws|
|2003||Frank Paci||Doctor of Letters|
|2002||Ted Nolan||Doctor of Laws|
|2001||Margaret Atwood||Doctor of Letters|
|2000||Olive Dickason||Doctor of Letters|
|1999||Nicholas Goldschmidt||Doctor of Letters|
|1998||Basil Johnston||Doctor of Letters|
|1997||Ken Danby||Doctor of Fine Arts|
|1994||Robert-Ralph Carmichael||Doctor of Letters|
|1993||David Lloyd Johnston||Doctor of Laws|
|1992||Tom Angus||Doctor of Science|
|1991||Roberta Bondar||Doctor of Science|
|1990||Morley Torgov||Doctor of Letters|
|1989||Daniel Erskine Pine||Doctor of Laws|
|1987||James E. MacDonald||Doctor of Letters|
|1985||D. G. Howell||Doctor of Science|
|1982||W. C. Winegard||Doctor of Laws|