- The AUHP is not intended for students going into their second year or for students who have experience living in Canada.
- Inbound student exchange students (taking academic courses) are not eligible for the AUHP.
About the Homestay Hosts
- All hosts are carefully selected and interviewed before joining our program.
- The hosts must live within 40 minutes of Algoma University and be located on, or near, the local bus transit service.
- Hosts have a keen interest in other cultures and have good English language skills.
- Hosts may be single adults, families, or couples.
- Canada is a multicultural country and our homestay program reflects this rich diversity.
About Living in Homestay
- Students will have their own room, bed, bedding, dresser, desk, and bath towels.
- Students have full use of the household, such as telephone, television, living room, and kitchen.
- The host will provide food for a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily. Breakfast and lunch materials are provided to be prepared by the student. Dinner is prepared and cooked by the host.
- Students will be met at the airport when they arrive and oriented to their new environment.
- Hosts will include their student day-to-day activities of the household as well as cultural activities of interest to the student and host.
- Students are expected to do their own laundry and clean their bedroom and shared areas, including the bathroom and kitchen.
- It usually takes about four months for a student to adjust to living in Canada. We ask the host and the student to make a four-month commitment to the placement. There are no refunds of homestay fees for the first three months after a student has moved into homestay.
- Students must give one month’s notice before the end of the homestay term if they plan to leave the homestay arrangement.
- Students who do not comply with homestay rules and policies may be asked to leave the homestay program and, in this case, are not entitled to any refund of homestay fees paid.
Application and Fees
Please complete and submit the online Student Homestay Application Form.
You will need to submit the following fees:
|Homestay||Fee per term(CDN$)|
|Homestay Fee for four months (700$ per month)||2,800|
|Total Homestay Fee||2,900|
- The Homestay Placement Fee is non-refundable. The first three months of the Homestay Fee is also non-refundable after a student is placed within the homestay program.
- Students with a late application, visa copy, and/or payment may not receive homestay placement.
- Students with completed applications will be placed in homestay on a first come, first serve basis.
- Fees are subject to change without notice.
May - Aug
Sept - Dec
|Winter Term |
Jan - Apr
|Homestay Application||April 15||August 15||December 15|
|Homestay Application Fee||Due upon application||Due upon application||Due upon application|
|Homestay Fees for 4 Months||April 15||August 15||December 15|
|Flight Arrival and Date Information||April 25||August 25||December 25|
Methods of Payment
Students who do not make a full payment for the Homestay Fee ($2900.00 CAD) in advance will be subject to a five per cent interest fee on any outstanding balance owed to the AUHP.
Homestay Support and Expectations
The Homestay Coordinator is available to provide on-going support and assistance.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 705-949-2301, Ext. 4367.
In an emergency, please call 705-943-6931.