Algoma University Homestay Program (AUHP)
The Algoma University Homestay Program (AUHP) is a First-Year Experience Program for Algoma University international students who are new to Canada and beginning their study in the English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP) or International students have the opportunity to live as a member of a Canadian family. Students share in family activities, exchange traditions and participate in everyday life. This opportunity allows students to improve their English communication skills.
With our homestay families, AUHP works to develop students’ English competence and confidence to be successful and independent adults who live in Canada.
Why should I choose AUHP?
In AUHP you will:
- meet your family at the airport. Your family will pick you up at the airport!
- explore your new neighborhood with your AUHP homestay family.
- have your own private room, bed, bedding, dresser, desk and bath towels.
- access common household items, such as the TV, the kitchen stove, the washing machine and the dishwasher.
- eat three meals every day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)! Yum!
- have groceries to make your own breakfast and lunch.
- eat dinner with your homestay family. Your homestay family will cook dinner for you.
- be included in day-to-day activities of your AUHP family and enjoy different cultural activities with them too!
- do your own laundry and the cleaning of your bedroom.
- have opportunities to experience life in beautiful Northern Ontario!
Before joining the AUHP, families are carefully selected through a thorough interview process, Homestay Visitation/ Site Check and Criminal Record Check conducted by the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service.
The AUHP proudly partners with Homestay families to provide a warm, welcoming and safe environment for new first-year students. AUHP helps students adjust to their new life and further their independence in Canada.
Would you like to become an Algoma University Homestay Program (AUHP) Family? Apply today!
How am I matched with an AUHP family?
AUHP wants you to have the best home away from home experience while you are in Canada! To help match you with an AUHP family, we consider many things. We think about you and our homestay family. We want you and your AUHP family to be comfortable!
AUHP placement criteria assessment reviews a student’s:
- religious needs
- preference toward domestic pets
- family environment
- dietary and medical needs
- proximity to the city
- overall preferences, hobbies and academic goals
When there is a suitable match, you will be contacted with information about the AUHP family and provided with their contact information.
With each placement, you will make a four-month (one term) commitment to stay with the AUHP family.
Can I apply?
If you answer “YES” to two of the questions below, apply to be an AUHP student!
- Are you an international student who is 18 years of age or older?
- Are you registered to begin your first year of) English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP)?
- Or, are you registered in Algoma U’s Short-Term English Program (STEP) as a visiting student, scholar, professor or researcher?
How do I apply to be an AUHP student?
1. Complete the AUHP Student Application Form
2. Pay the AUHP Placement Fee
For more information on when this fee and others must be paid, read the Important Dates section.
More information on payment options is coming soon.
3. When will I know about my AUHP Homestay Placement?
AUHP students will be carefully matched with a compatible AUHP family by the Placement Confirmation Date. Information will be provided to the students around this time. The student upon arrival will make a four month commitment to the AUHP family.
Important Dates – FALL 2019
- Application Deadline: Friday, July 26th, 2019
- Homestay Fee, Visa Copy, Arrival Information: Friday, August 9th, 2019
- Placement Confirmation Date: Friday, August 9th, 2019
- Move-In Date: August, 30th 2019*
*Once the AUHP matches a student, he/she will not be permitted to move into the home until this date unless a special arrangement is made in advance. This must be agreed upon by the host family..Additional charges will be applied by AUHP if the student arrives before this date.
- Orientation Dates: Sunday, September 1st – Tuesday September 3rd
- English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP) begins: Tuesday, September 3rd
Important Dates – WINTER 2020
- Application Deadline: Friday, November 29th, 2019
- Homestay Fee, Visa Copy, Arrival Information: Friday, December 6th, 2019
- Placement Confirmation Date: Friday, December 6th, 2019
- Move-In Date: January 2020 (To be confirmed.)
- Orientation Dates: January 2020 (To be confirmed.)
- English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP) begins: Tuesday, January 7th, 2020
Algoma University Homestay Fees
Cost for one semester (4 months):
$3,200 Homestay Fee: ($800/month)
$200 Placement Fee
$3,400 CAD *Effective January 1, 2019.
Refunds and Deferrals
Deferral: If a student’s visa is denied, the application and all Homestay fees can be deferred to the next term if this is requested by the student.
Refund: A refund is available only if the applicant provides proof of visa denial. The Homestay Application Fee is non-refundable administration fee.*
*Once a student is living with their homestay family, the first three months of the Homestay Fee is non-refundable. The fourth month of the Homestay Fee is refundable. To refund the fourth month Homestay Payment, the student must give the Homestay Coordinator four weeks notice before their planned exit date.