The Shingwauk Anishinaabe Students’ Association (SASA) is committed to ensuring that Anishinaabe (First Nations, Inuit, and Métis) students’ university experience is fulfilling and enjoyable. SASA is an organization run by students for students, and works to ensure that Anishinaabe students’ voices are recognized amongst the Algoma U community.
SASA supports the academic and cultural needs of Anishinaabe students and offers family and cultural activities for all students in the Algoma U community.
SASA’s objectives are:
- To provide cultural, social and academic support for all Anishinaabe students;
- To increase Anishinaabe student participation in all aspects of the University;
- To consult with Anishinaabe students on issues of concern and resolution;
- To encourage communication with other Anishinaabe post-secondary organizations;
- To assist Anishinaabe students with adjusting to the University environment;
- To acknowledge and respect the language, culture, and social diversity of all Anishinaabe students;
- To strengthen cultural awareness between Anishinaabe students and non-Anishinaabe students; and
- To represent Anishinaabe students on various Algoma University boards and committees in order to inform and ensure that Anishinaabe student needs and aspirations are expressed and promoted.
Anishinaabe students of Algoma University are members of the Shingwauk Anishinaabe Students’ Association (SASA), and are represented on Algoma University Students’ Union (AUSU), the Anishinaabe People’s Council (an advisory committee of the University’s Board of Governors), and the Cross-Cultural Committee.
At the end of each academic year, a new Board of Executive Officers is elected to head the operations and organization of SASA. Elections are held in March, and new elected members begin their term starting in May. The key representatives that make up the Board of Executive Officers include:
- Cultural Events Coordinator
- Events Coordinator
- Communications Coordinator
For more information, or to get involved, please contact SASA by email at email@example.com.