The Algoma Thunderbird Wrestling team travelled home from Toronto, Ontario this past weekend and came back with some impressive results. They were competing in the Ryerson University Open on Saturday.
Head Coach of Thunderbird Wrestling Trevor Manchester said: “Great weekend for our wrestling program – Actually, probably our best yet!” He added: “Focusing on our mistakes from McMaster paid dividends this weekend at Ryerson. Overall, the team had a great performance. Kyle and Bryce taking gold medals show that we can compete when we stick to our game plan. Emily had a great showing, bouncing back after a tough first match. David Serra and Stephen Kreyenbuhl also had good showings for the University, both finishing the day with 2-2 records.”
Algoma Thunderbird Bryce Davis who competes in the Men’s 72 kg division won Gold and had this to say about the Ryerson Open: “This weekend was a good improvement from our last tournament. The team and I plan to keep improving as the season progresses. Personally, I stuck to the plan in place and was able to see some success, revenging a loss from last weekend. Mentally, it has helped me to have confidence in the plans that the Coaching staff and I put these in place before I compete.”
First-year team member for Algoma Kyle Price who also won Gold and competes in the Men’s 90 kg division said: “Personally, this was a really good tournament. After last weekend’s tournament at McMaster, we had set a few objectives for moving forward with positioning and how to work on my zone offence. All these factors came into actualization throughout the tournament which allowed me to be one step ahead and win all my matches. As a team, everyone wrestled really well. We all had our own individualized goals on what to improve for this tournament and everyone moved leaps and bounds ahead. Being one of the smallest teams in Canada and taking 3rd overall, trailing 2nd by 1 point says it all. We’re in for a good season.”
Also, a first-year team member Emily Duchesne won Bronze and competes in the Women’s 51 kg division said: “This weekend was another representation of what our team’s ability is and the hard work that we have been putting in on and off the mat. Despite a couple of tough losses this weekend, I feel I can come back and work on what needs to be improved and stay hungry for future competitions. I know I am very proud of my teammates’ performance this weekend and proud to represent the university with this performance.”
Complete Ryerson Open 2019 Results for Algoma:
Bryce Davis’s place is 1st.
- Champ. Round 1 – Bryce Davis (Algoma) won by tech fall over Pablo Hurado (KBay) (TF 12-0)
- Quarterfinal – Bryce Davis (Algoma) won by fall over Adriano Di Benedetto (Hamilton WC) (Fall 1:23)
- Semifinal – Bryce Davis (Algoma) won by tech fall over Bobby Narwal (Brock) (TF 11-0)
- 1st Place Match – Bryce Davis (Algoma) won by tech fall over Pierre Arabadjian (Guelph) (TF 10-0)
- Champ. Round 1 – Harvir Lally (Guelph WC) won by tech fall over David Serra (Algoma) (TF 10-0)
- Cons. Round 1 – David Serra (Algoma) received a bye () (Bye)
- Cons. Round 2 – David Serra (Algoma) won by tech fall over Erik Meandro (McMaster) (TF 10-0)
- Cons. Round 3 – David Serra (Algoma) won by disqualification over Charles Chuppertez (CLIC) (DQ)
- Cons. Round 4 – Tate Levesque (Western) won by injury default over David Serra (Algoma) (Inj. 0:00)
Kyle Price’s place is 1st and has scored 10.0 team points.
- Quarterfinal – Kyle Price (Algoma) won by tech fall over Thanh Huynh (Team Xtreme) (TF 12-0)
- Semifinal – Kyle Price (Algoma) won by tech fall over Collin Johnson (Western) (TF 10-0)
- 1st Place Match – Kyle Price (Algoma) won by decision over Ignatius Pitt (Brock) (Dec 1-1)
Stephen Kreyenbuhl’s place is 4th.
- Round 1 – Stephen Kreyenbuhl (Algoma) won by decision over Luciano Iacobelli (Independent WC) (Dec 8-2)
- Round 3 – Anthony Parker (Western) won by decision over Stephen Kreyenbuhl (Algoma) (Dec 11-6)
- Round 4 – Kyle Jordan (Ryerson) won by tech fall over Stephen Kreyenbuhl (Algoma) (TF 10-0)
- Round 5 – Stephen Kreyenbuhl (Algoma) won by injury default over Calvin Daum (Brock) (Inj. 0:00)
Emily Duchesne’s place is 3rd.
- Round 1 – Arely Torales (Team Xtreme) won by tech fall over Emily Duchesne (Algoma) (TF 10-0)
- Round 3 – Emily Duchesne (Algoma) won by tech fall over Lexi Poupore (Adrian College) (TF 10-0)
- Round 4 – Kelyn Young (Matmen) won by fall over Emily Duchesne (Algoma) (Fall 0:41)
- Round 5 – Emily Duchesne (Algoma) won by tech fall over Hannah Vanderslagt (Western) (TF 10-0)
Next weekend the Algoma Wrestling team travels to Toronto, Ontario again to compete in the York University Open which will be their last competition of the first half of the season.
Story source: https://algomathunderbirds.ca/