(SAULT STE. MARIE, ON- March 26, 2020): Algoma University is actively seeking nominations for the University’s next Chancellor for a four-year term starting on September 1, 2020, and ending on August 31, 2024. With Shirley Horn’s term as Chancellor coming to an end after Spring Convocation 2020, the Search Committee for a Chancellor has begun the search for a successor. The Committee has developed a list of duties and attributes for the role upon which nominations should be based.
What are the duties of a Chancellor?
The Chancellor is a volunteer who serves as the titular head of the University. The specific duties of the Chancellor include:
1. To assist in efforts to raise the profile of the University and to advocate on its behalf
2. To promote the University’s special mission in relation to Anishinaabe education
3. To act as an ambassador for Algoma University, both officially and unofficially
4. To confer degrees at Convocation
5. To participate, as possible, in other major ceremonies or events, such as the Induction Ceremony
6. To assist in both friend-raising and fund-raising
7. To provide advice to the President, as requested.
What are the attributes of a Chancellor?
A nominee for the position of Chancellor should possess as many of the following attributes as possible:
1. Is distinguished in their field and has a significant public profile, provincially, nationally, or internationally
2. Supports the general mission of the university, as well as its special mission for Anishinaabe education
3. Has shown an interest in Anishinaabe issues and/or connections with Anishinaabe communities or organizations
4. Has the personal traits necessary to be an effective advocate for the university, including speaking and relationship skills
5. Is a person of high integrity and strong character
6. Is willing to provide assistance in fund-raising or lobbying efforts
7. Can commit to the role, and would not be in a conflict of commitment between Algoma University and any other post-secondary institution
The Committee is reaching out to all constituencies, including the general public, for nominations which can be submitted, in confidence, via email using the downloadable Chancellor Nomination Form to the Secretary of the Board at email@example.com. The same email address can be used for questions about the process.
The deadline for nominations is Monday, June 15, 2020.