English Language Requirements
Proof of English language proficiency is required for international students to attend Algoma University.
One of the following minimum requirements must be met in order to be eligible for undergraduate admission:
- TOEFL: 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer based), 79 (Internet-based)
- IELTS Academic: 6.0 overall (including 6.0 in each band of reading, writing, listening and speaking)
- CanTEST: 4.5
- CAEL (paper-based or computer edition): 60
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 63
- 3 years of full-time studies in an approved secondary school (in or outside Canada) which follows the Ontario or another Canadian secondary school curriculum. The minimum grade requirement for Grade 12 English (academic bound) is 70%
- 3 years of full-time studies in a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada or the USA
If the applicants do not meet any of the above requirements, they may be admitted to AU’s English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP). Successful completion of EAPP Level 4 or Level 5 with a grade of 80% or higher will also satisfy the English language requirement, and students will earn 3 credits toward their academic studies.
This EAPP Pathway option to satisfy English Language Requirements is not available to students applying to any programming in the School of Business and Economics. For more information on English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP), please visit the ESL page.