English Language Requirements
Proof of English language proficiency is required for international students to attend Algoma University.
One of the following minimum requirements must be met in order to be eligible for direct undergraduate admission:
- CAEL (paper-based, computer edition or online): 60
- Cambridge English Qualifications
- Overall 176, with no band below 169
- Duolingo English Test (DET) –
- Overall 110 (Temporarily accepted for 2020Fall and 2021 Winter semester)
- IELTS Academic
- 6.0 overall (including no individual band below 6.0)
- TOEFL: 550 (paper-based) or 79 (Internet-based)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 63
- ENG4U (OSSD) or ENGL12 (BC Curriculum): 3 years of full-time studies with a minimum grade of 70%
- College Transfer:
- 3 years of full-time studies in a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada or the USA
- Successful completion of a two or three-year diploma from a recognized Ontario College of Arts and Technology (a minimum of four semesters is required)
- 3 semesters of full-time studies (i.e., a minimal of 12 credits each semester) with a cumulative GPA of 3.0
If an applicant does not meet any of the above requirements, they can also take AU’s English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP) to meet the needs.
Successful completion of EAPP Level 4 or Level 5 satisfies the English language requirement, and students will earn 3 credits toward their academic studies.
AU’s EAPP also recognizes other English tests for level placements. Please check the Entry Requirements for each EAPP Level to find out which level you might be placed at.
For more information on English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP), please visit the ESL page.
*This EAPP Pathway option to satisfy English Language Requirements is not available to students applying to any programming in the School of Business and Economics.