English Language Requirements
Proof of English language proficiency is required for international students to attend Algoma University.
One of the following minimum requirements must be met in order to be eligible for direct undergraduate admission:
- CAEL (paper-based or computer edition): 60
- Cambridge Assessment of English
- Overall 169, with no band below 169
- Duolingo English Test (DET)
- Overall 110
- IELTS Academic
- 6.0 overall (including no individual band below 6.0)
- TOEFL: 550 (paper-based) or 79 (Internet-based)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 63
- 3 years of full-time studies in an approved secondary school (in or outside Canada) which follows the Ontario or another Canadian secondary school curriculum. The minimum grade requirement for Grade 12 English (academic bound) is 70%
- 3 years of full-time studies in a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada or the USA
- Successful completion of a two or three-year diploma from a recognized Ontario College of Arts and Technology (A minimum of four semesters is required)
English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP)*
If an applicant does not meet any of the above requirements, they may be admitted to AU’s English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP). Successful completion of EAPP Level 4 or Level 5 with a grade of 80% or higher will also satisfy the English language requirement, and students will earn 3 credits toward their academic studies. For more information on English for Academic Purposes Program (EAPP), please visit the ESL page.
*This EAPP Pathway option to satisfy English Language Requirements is not available to students applying to any programming in the School of Business and Economics.