The World Awaits You
Algoma University offers more than just a unique classroom experience. For students interested in taking their classroom experience to exotic destinations and foreign countries, they can take part in a variety of study abroad opportunities. Algoma U is committed to providing students with a cross-cultural learning experience, whether on campus, or somewhere else in the world.
There are countless benefits to studying abroad. Many of our students have cited their time abroad as being the most enlightening experience and the best part of their university degree. Below are just some of the benefits cited by those who have ventured abroad.
- Experiencing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Our exchange program allows students to experience what life is like in another country. It allows students the opportunity to travel and learn in a new country, which for many, may be an once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Learning a new language. While most Canadian students prefer choosing countries where English is the mother tongue, studying in a country where English is not dominant or widely spoken, provides students with the potential to develop new linguistic skills by being immersed in another language.
- Educational benefits. By studying abroad, students have the possibility to take courses which are not readily available at their home institution. They are also opened up to the new perspectives and ideas of their host country. While being immersed in a new culture, students have the opportunity to learn in different contexts, educational systems, and be opened to differing worldviews.
- Building your résumé. The skills, attributes, and new perspectives students gain while studying overseas, along with their willingness to venture outside of their comfort zone, helps with résumé building. Plus, students’ ability to work and succeed in a cross-cultural environment is particularly sought after into today’s competitive labour market in the global world.
- Affordable experience. Most are unaware that our exchange program is extremely affordable. Normally, international students pay double their regular tuition to study abroad. However, at Algoma University, students in our exchange program only pay their home tuition rate and standard fees. Plus the credits earned from their host institution will contribute towards their degree. The only added fees are airfare, accommodation, and spending money.
Study Abroad Opportunities
Study abroad experiences come in all shapes and sizes, from as short as a few weeks to a full year, with many options in between. Find the right one for you!Explore
Summer Study Abroad
Can’t commit to a year abroad? No problem! Short-term summer study abroad programs are ideal for students with limited time and resources.Learn More
Studying abroad allows for cross-cultural and experiential learning.
Learn more about the steps you need to take in order to begin your adventure of studying abroad.Get Started
“I spent a semester near Vienna, Austria as an exchange student, resulting in one of the most exhilarating adventures of my life. In the four months spent in Europe, I became friends with people from around the world, was exposed to new and exciting cultures, attempted to learn foreign languages, travelled, tasted new foods, and ultimately gained a better understanding of myself.”
“My year abroad was the most exciting and exhilarating year of my life. It brought me to Perth, Western Australia, where I spent the year of 2010 studying Political Science at Murdoch University. I lived with seven roommates from around the world, played Australian Rules Football (AFL) and Varsity Basketball. I represented Algoma University at Murdoch’s International Exchange Day, got up close and personal with the Australian wildlife, learned to surf, tapped into the scenic culture of the Australian Western Coast and travelled to Sydney and Melbourne for exploration vacations. ”
“In another country, it’s really easy to have a good time, even if it’s just walking down the street to meet some of the friendly people. Along the way, you get to see so much culture. I can’t even get started on talking about how great the food is here (and cheap!). There is a saying in Korea 금수강산 which means “the beautiful lands of Korea . . . the beautiful lands, mountains, rivers and lakes”. It truly is a great place.”