Research Ethics Board
The Research Ethics Board (REB) vets research involving human subjects, under the University Senate’s Research Ethics Policy.
The purpose of this Policy is to create a research environment in which the University’s responsibilities towards Human Participants involved in research are discharged in accordance with the highest ethical standards; to promote awareness and understanding of such standards among members or associated members of the University; to articulate clearly the Tri-Council Core Ethical Principles applicable to research in a manner consistent with the most current version of the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans and with international best practices; and to establish an independent research ethics review process.
The Board comprises:
- One community representative with no formal affiliation with the university;
- Three university members from different disciplines with broad expertise in the methods or in areas of research covered by the Research Ethics Board (research involving human participants or the use of human tissue); and
- One university member with broad knowledge in ethics or experience in the evaluation of ethical implications of research involving human participants.
REB Meeting Schedule (all meetings take place at 1:30pm in NW 306)
- Dr. Michael Graydon, Chair
- Dr. Dave Broadbeck
- Dr. Nusrate Aziz
- Dr. Laura Wyper
- Dr. Vivian Jimenez-Estrada
Resource: Research Administrator. To contact the team, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday, November 10: 1:30pm
- Friday, December 15: 1:30pm
- Friday, February 16: 1:30pm
- Friday, March 23: 1:30pm
- Friday, April 20: 1:30pm
- Friday, May 18: 1:30pm
- Friday, June 22: 1:30pm
All meetings will take place in NW 306.
Forms and Procedures – Research Ethics Board
- Adverse or Unanticipated Event Form (DOC)
- Algoma University Research Ethics Form (DOC)
- Amendment Form (DOC)
- Annual Renewal Form (DOC)
- Course-Based Research Form (DOC)
- Course-Based Study Completion Form (DOC)
- Online Research Checklist (DOC)
- Report Form for Research Concerns or Complaints (DOC)
- Research Ethics Form for Projects Involving Aboriginal Peoples (DOC)
- Study Completion Form (DOC)
- Algoma University Research Fund Project Report (DOC)
- Student Research Rights and Responsibilities (PDF)
- Students’ Rights as Research Participants (PDF)
For information regarding research policies, please navigate to our Policies and Procedures section.