Dr. William Osei
Professor and Department Chair
Dr. William Osei earned his BA (Honours) from the University of Ghana (Legon), his MA from Carleton University and his PhD from the University of Western Ontario. He has held positions at both the University of Victoria and Brandon University, prior to arriving at Algoma in September 1992.
During his time at Algoma U, Dr. Osei has established a strong reputation for teaching excellence, and in 2006 he was honoured with the University’s inaugural Distinguished Faculty Award.
Dr. Osei has conducted seminars and delivered papers to learned societies around the world – including the United Nations World Summit on Sustainable Development – in specialty-areas that include:
- forest land use and energy systems
- agriculture, food security and biotechnology
- environment and development, as well as rural sustainability
- trans-boundary resource systems
- hazards and hazard-managemenat
- landscape rehabilitation and analysis
- community-based approaches to natural resources management
- impact assessment
His expertise on human-environment interactions is well-respected and has had substantial impact on environmental policy and practice.